The Montana Academy of Ophthalmology (MAO) is the
organizational and representative body of the medical eye
physicians/surgeons in the State of Montana.
Ophthalmologists (Eye MDs) are medical doctors with additional
specialized training in all aspects of eye care; medical, surgical, and
optical. As medical doctors,
Eye MDs and their practices are also available 24 hours a day, 7 days a
week for urgent or emergent care.
An Eye MD has completed:
- 4 years of college
- 4 years of medical school
- 1 year of general medical or surgical internship
- 3 years (minimum) of tertiary hospital based residency
diagnosis and treatment of eye diseases.
The primary goals of the
MAO are to:
- Promote and advance the science and art of medicine
- Encourage and foster the relationships of this
specialty to other branches of medicine.
- Monitor the related social, economic, and political
factors in the state so as to help assure access to and quality of eye
care for the citizens of Montana.
The MAO and its members
are committed to these goals. To
this end, an office in Helena and Executive Director are available for
assistance as are individual MAO members.